Since the ammonia fume diffused through the finishes so easily, I started to wonder how far it penetrated the wood. I had assumed the fume darkening would be a thing film, so I planed one of the edges to see how far it would go. I planed and pla...
|View Roger Kimmel's:||home||workshop||projects (4)||blog (6)||reviews (0)||forum topics (0)||buddies (0)||favorites (0)||activity log|
None so far
32 posts in 99 days
Location: Dayton, OH
Latest Activity | view all »
Latest Projects | view all 4 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 6 »
After noticing that the inside of my box picked up some color right through the Danish oil finish, I decided to experiment. I finished an oak stick with one coat of polyurethane varnish (right) and Danish oil (left). I left the center unfinished...
Two days after I took it out of the “gas chamber” the swelling due to moisture had gone down enough that I could remove the lid. I was a little surprised that the interior had darkened as much as the outside, but I guess I shouldn...
This is the box after two more days exposure, for six days total. It isn’t much darker than it was after four days, so I’m going to call the experiment over. I’d like for it to be a bit darker, but at least I got the contrast I...
The box hasn’t darkened appreciably over the past two days, so I put in fresh ammonia in a slightly bigger saucer to give it more surface area. Here’s a funny thing. It felt like the box was damp to the touch. The lid just lies ...